Choosing an anniversary gift for one’s wife is an intimidating experience for most men. If the hapless male isn’t clued in on what it is that women really want, then the battle is lost even before it began. So, instead of the red roses and a sentimental hand written card which she was secretly hoping for (if the finances are tight) or, at the least, a diamond anniversary ring (when things are flush), if she is presented with a food processor, then, well, things won’t look too bright on the domestic horizon.
If you want to go down in history as the most romantic husband a wife can hope for, then steer absolutely clear of these top 10 worst anniversary gift ideas. Read on to find out all about anniversary etiquette and master the fine art of gift giving to that special woman.
1. Anything that can be plugged in. This covers the spectrum from hair dryers to food processors to vacuum cleaners. The only year in which you can escape by giving her an electronic gadget is the fourth anniversary year, which has electrical gadgets as its contemporary gift. And that, again, needs to be anniversary-worthy.
2. Sports equipment. This is no rocket science. Scales (worst offenders), treadmill, exercise bicycle and their ilk are better off where they belong – in a gym or in your home work-out zone. Giving her something that even remotely suggests ‘weight gain’ can have you banished from favour for a fairly long time. And, trust us, there is nothing romantic about making her sweat it out – at least not in this way!
3. Getting something that masquerades as her gift where in reality it is what you have been hankering for. A big no-no. Got your eye on that camping gear or hi-tech video game? Getting it for your wife – particularly if she is not half the geek that you are – is going to earn you little more than a raised eyebrow and an icy smile.
4. A cheaply bought card/ gift from high street. Nothing reeks of remembered-at-the-last-minute as much as a hurriedly bought card and gift that silently but loudly proclaims to her your slip-up. A gaudy bracelet, a cheaply packed perfume, with the price tag still attached can be a sharp blow to her vanity, ego and sentiments.
5. Repeating last year’s gift Let’s face it. Sure she loved that designer perfume/ bag/ bracelet that you gave her last year, but not enough to go into ecstasies of delight on receiving them again this year as well. It is dejavu alright but a rather uninspiring one, believe us. Whether she admits it or not, your anniversary gift is highly anticipated and awaited. So, don’t disappoint her.
6. Really sleazy gifts- and we mean, really sleazy. Couples don’t always share the same tastes or passions and giving her something that tickles you but leaves her stone cold is not the best way to usher in warmth and a rosy glow on your anniversary day.
7. Giving her the same gift you plan to give your sister or mother on their anniversaries. This has to be the granddaddy of all faux pas. Granted you adore your mum and sis, but your wife is in a different league altogether – or hadn’t you noticed? And what if (heaven forbid) a mix-up takes place?
8. Then there are those beauty products that do more harm than good. These include anti-ageing creams, hair fall preventing shampoos and conditioners, anti-wrinkle night creams, or (shock and horror) a wig. If the world of make-up and beauty enhancements is an alien world to you, here’s a piece of sage advice – stay away.
9. Household items. This roughly translates into an ironing board, laundry basket, a year’s supply of dishwashing liquid or even a book on ‘How to make the perfect cakes’.
10.Mints and mouthwashes. She is going to wonder ‘Is there a hint there?’ Needless to add, this is the fastest way to ensure that a romantic mood crumbles faster than a cookie.
So, all you men out there – render her speechless – but with good reason!